It is here- the end! Well, roughly in about a month actually. For college students it’s final’s frenzy time. This is the month and the time to revel in the final product of a semester’s worth of trudging to the library, straining your eyes over the computer, and attending classes day in and day out. Or it is doomsday. Time to take ownership for hours of procrastinating on Facebook, Pandora, or twitter. Yes indeed, it is time to take exams, present final presentations, and finish up the semester.
The academic strife within students is bubbling up to it’s peak- I myself am feeling the pressure. On the surface, most would think a student’s appearance on the fact the the semester is ending would be joyous(is this even a word?)! But atlas, it is the time we realize we will either make the grade or fail epically. SO I have come up with a few tips to help get you(and me!) through the stressful time:
1. Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water, and avoid loading up on sugary drinks and caffeine. I know that last part may be hard but loading up on energy drinks will only drain you later.
2. Take time to eat healthy meals and snacks: Avoid junk food and candy. Again, see above- it will be good for you!
3. Take a walk: It will give you a change of scenery and can help clear your mind, and perhaps help you finish that last slide for your presentation!
4. Avoid all-nighters: Go to bed early and get plenty of sleep. You gotta have your ZZZ’s and not considering yourself will only make things worse later. I know you want to fit in that extra hour but waking up an hour earlier may be the better choice.
5. Listen to music: Take a break and listen to a few of your favorite songs for quick pick me up. This is by far my favorite tip. MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC. It is the butter on my toast for my soul!
6. Just breathe: When you start to feel overwhelmed, stop and take some deep breaths. Pause and realize this is only for a little while, you will get through it.
7. Pace yourself: If you have difficulty getting motivated, try tackling your work for just 10 minutes and see what happens. Have a snack, take that walk, then come back refreshed and ready to go. But don’t forget to come back!
8. Practice the 30/10 rule: Set a timer for 30 minutes, and then work like mad until the timer goes off. Set the timer for 10 minutes, and do something you really want to do. This only works if like above you come back! HaHa no running off and binge watching an entire series on Netflix.
Then take your exams, present your finals, and kick some booty! Then breathe because it’s over! You have finished! now, all you have to do is cross your fingers and await the grades. I know the pressure is on guys, but you have to remember it is worth it.
Anyone have any more suggestions?
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” –Nelson Mandela